Smoky Beef Heart Sliders with Spinach-Bacon Aioli

Do I like heart meat? No. No I do not. I do not like it in a box, I do not like it with a fox. I do not like it with a skunk, I do not like to eat dat junk. But in our ever-growing community of nose-to-tail consumption, it’s behooving (beHOOFing? Ugh, don’t look at me.) to find ways to eat the somewhat unconventional parts of animals and reap their nutritional benefits.

Beef heart burger with spinach-bacon aioli

I don’t really cook offal. Or eat offal. And it’s not that I’m not an adventurous eater, it’s just…have you seen what sweetbreads look like?

Certain things just make me severely uncomfortable, like gory movies and the palpable air of certain doom that follows the elderly. Or being trusted to hold small children. They’re just so breakable and I’m so very clumsy.

Offal doesn’t really make me feel all that much different.

Beef heart burger with spinach-bacon aioliBeef heart burger with spinach-bacon aioli

Heart meat is a little weird, but since many people in the States seem to have the same feelings about it, it’s ridiculously cheap to get. It’s very meaty, a little tough, and is as purple as a newborn, but jam packed with minerals and nutrients, as well as a having a high density of a chemical compound known to reduce heart disease, scare off cancer and prolong life, otherwise known as CoQ10. That’s the same stuff made in pill form and sold for cash money millions.

But let me say it again: heart meat is kind of weird. Some people claim it to be a poor man’s steak, saying the taste to be indiscernible from more expensive cuts. Do not engage with these people. They are goddamn liars.

Bacon!

Though I’d rather go for short ribs, flank, tenderloin or other cuts of beef, heart definitely isn’t the worst cut you can find. Don’t take my review at face value, though. Many people love it! Most of whom have questionable tastes and should not be trusted with sharp objects.

Then again, I’ve had worse. In France I ordered a large helping of andouillette thinking it was andouille just spelled wrong. Spoiler alert: It’s not.  Instead of delicious, smoked sausage (andouille), you get pig intestines filled with pig intestines (andouillette). It was like Inception, except with pig asshole instead of dreams.

Beef heart burger with spinach-bacon aioli

Truthfully, there is a slight but discernible sweet and coppery/livery taste to heart, but I almost expected that given its former full time job. If you like your meat with a somewhat earthy, meaty taste, you might enjoy grilled, roasted or braised heart meat by itself. The rest of us can reap the nutritional benefits of this cheap cut of meat by blending it into standard ground beef on a 1:3 ratio. For burgers, I would avoid going beyond a 1:2 ratio, otherwise the taste may be overwhelming, and the lack of fat makes for one dry sonofabeef.

SMOKY BEEF HEART SLIDERS with SPINACH-BACON AIOLI
Beef heart burger with spinach-bacon aioli

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

8 Comments

• January 18, 2013 - 5:48 pm | Permalink

The last time i ate heart, it was in Brooklyn and they were rabbit heart kebabs. I felt like a hipster caveman, tearing little grilled hearts off sticks with my teeth. This is a waaay better, not-so-intimidating way to serve heart- and with aioli! Everything works with aioli, right?

• February 2, 2013 - 9:38 pm | Permalink

Whoa! I don’t know if I’d be able to eat the little rabbit hearts in their whole form, but I’d be interested in trying at least! Typically, with offal, someone else has to make it so all I see is the end result. Seeing it in its raw form is a total hunger killer.

• January 29, 2013 - 1:35 pm | Permalink

Hmmm…not sure if I could bring myself to eat the beef heart sliders knowingly, but I am sure they are quite good. The picture looks amazing – I would totally do the “I’ll have what they are having” if I saw it in a restaurant!

• February 2, 2013 - 9:38 pm | Permalink

You might just need to be tricked into thinking it was a regular ol’ burger and have someone tell you what it is after it’s all said and done :)

• February 11, 2013 - 10:10 pm | Permalink

I love veggie burergs and don’t make them as often as I should. I make one from Molly Klatzen and it’s delicious, called the lentil walnut burger that we LOVE. only has 12 ingredients. I’m with you on the 22 ingredients, no thanks! BUt in fairness, 7 of those are spices(they don’t really count) and on of them is a bun. Now you’re down to 14. That sounds better!

• Karen
    February 27, 2013 - 12:36 am | Permalink

This sounds interesting and certainly the first time I’ve seen a recipe for beef heart. I’m inclined to try this ’cause I’m feeling a bit anemic. Based on my own ranking system, I would (theoretically) eat heart, lung, and tongue without much concern. However, I do not want to ever eat an organ that was used for filtration- liver, kidney, intestine, etc. All the grossness the cow/creature touched is in that awful offal (haaaa…). I’ll have to see if I can find heart at the Ye Olde Supermarkete. Thanks for the inspiration!

• April 1, 2013 - 9:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll be honest, I’m not a big offal fan in any regard. I KNOW they’re chocked full of nutrients and are supposed to be the best for you, but I can barely stomach most of them. But if you make them look like something that doesn’t look like an organ, I’m much more inclined to try it :)