Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe

When I made my foray into this gluten-free adventure of mine a couple months back (albeit with a few warranted cheat days) I wasn’t sure I’d ever again know the joy of burning my lips on a scorching-hot, gooey, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie. I’d conceded to eating cookies that would make me wish the apocalypse were real. But much like when I was five and assumed Mother Theresa was a portly black woman (and also that her name was “Mother Catreesa”) I was so very wrong!

BEHOLD. A gluten-free chocolate chip cookie that looks, feels and tastes like a REAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. None of this crumbly, dry, flavorless nonsense. I would take this cookie to bed and call it the next morning.

Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

The basis of the recipe comes from the most bomb-ass recipe for almond flour chocolate chip cookies found at Meaningful Eats. The cookies are moist, chewy, and, just like yours truly, are pretty much perfect in every way possible. For weeks I’ve been scribbling “Kerry + These Chocolate Chip Cookies 4 Eva” on my notepads. I seriously couldn’t say one bad thing about this recipe if I tried.

Except for one very minor detail: Because they are made with almond flour, and because almond flour can be fickle and brittle, they didn’t really hold up very well over time. Which really isn’t an issue for me, because I can usually pack away cookies like a pro (two dozen in one hour once – time me!). But not everyone is as determined as I am to eat ALL the cookies, so many may notice that by the next day the cookies become a little crumbly and worse for wear, albeit still ridiculously delicious.

Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

So the first change I made was using coconut butter in place of coconut oil and butter. Coconut butter is coconut flesh and oil that’s been pureed together, and the paleo community has a massive collective boner for this stuff. Coconut fats are full of medium chain triglycerides which contribute to calcium absorption, cancer defense, metabolic increase, energy storage, a reduction in sugar cravings and pretty fly-looking skin.  If there’s one thing worthy of a pants salute, it’s coconut butter.

The pureed coconut flesh gives the cookies a little more foundation and keeps the shape up over time, and the coconut flavor ends up being subdued by the rest of the cookie. And they are still moist

Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

And for those of you with various food restrictions, there are many ways to alter the recipe to fit your specific diet. BEHOLD! AGAIN!

• Veganize it: Replace chocolate chips with cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips (such as EnjoyLife brand), replace egg with egg substitute!
  • Paleo-ize it: Replace chocolate chips with cacao nibs, replace sugar with maple syrup or molasses!
  • Allergies to almonds? Use coconut flour instead! (and use all coconut oil and NO coconut butter)
  • Allergies to coconut? Use regular butter instead!
  • Allergies to coconuts AND almonds? Eat a banana instead!

BOMB-ASS GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies

Be Sociable, Share!

Related posts:

14 Comments

• February 10, 2013 - 3:34 am | Permalink

Almond flour is tons of fun to bake with and I’ve never chocolate chip cookied it before. Looks like a clean and delicious recipe with the definite potential for burning the crap out of the roof of my mouth. Molten lava cookies hurt so good…every time. I just found your site and I’m pretty sure I have a crush on it. ;) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• February 11, 2013 - 5:05 pm | Permalink

Hey, thanks so much! And crush away, Julia! Nobody would blame you :P

These cookies are so good, and could be made cleaner with honey, but I’ve never made them exclusively with honey. I’m a little afraid to mess with perfection. If you try it, let me know if it’s worth a go (and my precious almond flour!).

• February 10, 2013 - 11:19 am | Permalink

I want to sink my teeth into one of these bomb-ass gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

• February 11, 2013 - 5:06 pm | Permalink

They are my favorite things in the world. You should whip up a batch and get your teeth all in those cookies!

• April 22, 2013 - 3:04 pm | Permalink

I came across these while browsing and I’m so glad I did. I have baked with almond flour before and I like the taste. I have friends who must eat gluten free. I plan on sharing the recipe with them.

• May 23, 2013 - 5:45 pm | Permalink

Hi Esther! I love baking with almond flour and find I generally don’t miss conventional baked goods as long as I have some around. Let me know how you like this recipe if you end up trying it out!

• Geneviève
    May 11, 2013 - 5:36 pm | Permalink

Once in a blue moon, the Gods of baking send us a miracle. These cookies are such a thing! Holy crap! They are spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!! Best. Mother’s. Day. Ever.

• May 23, 2013 - 5:43 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you liked them! They’re easily one of my favorite things in the entire world :)

• Geneviève
        May 23, 2013 - 10:04 pm | Permalink

They taste like Almond Joys! And the crunch of kosher salt just takes them over the top! Gah! I am on my third batch since Mother’s day! Must step away from baking sheet …..

• Genevieve Herzog
    July 13, 2013 - 6:43 pm | Permalink

So…. I went ahead and tried these bad boys using maple syrup, like the good french canadian that I am, and I ended up with really really really flat cookies. And I had to cook them longer. So I made them into ice cream cookies (with coconut milk ice cream). Still freakin’ awesome…… Just wondering though if next time chilling the batter before baking would help? Or adding more almond meal? Just musing…… :)

• August 15, 2013 - 7:49 am | Permalink

Hmm…did you use coconut butter as well? That’s what will give the cookies more structure, whereas only almond flour will make a flatter cookie. You can also use a few tablespoons of coconut flour instead of coconut butter (and up the coconut oil a couple tablespoons) and that should help out!

• Geneviève
        August 15, 2013 - 7:53 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tip! I did use coconut butter, but I may try it with the coconut flour next time I make them! Or….. Just stick to the original recipe since I know how it behaves!

• Pingback: 18 Yummy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes | Paleo Grubs

• Amy
    March 1, 2014 - 2:50 pm | Permalink

Perhaps I did it all wrong but mine came out quite dry!

Is it 3/4 cup of brown sugar? How much coconut oil if not using coconut butter?